Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Google "Helpful Or Harmful" Bad vs Good

I never really thought of Google as a bad or good thing. Google has become such a major part of my life that I don't remember days in which  I wasn't finding information on Google. Everytime I need to find the definition of something or simply want to educate myself on pretty much anything I know that I can rely on Google for the information that I need.

When looking up information online I never really stop to think on the negative aspects of the source. Google isn't a threat to me considering how much information I have gained from the source. I always find what I am looking for and always have options. Google was able to think for me. I never had to wonder about anything because the information was simply available.

The Googilization of Everything reading opened my eyes to a whole new perspective on Google. Google might just be the all knowing sibling every one never really asked for or expected to come into their life. Finding information on Google has become so prominent that people use "googling" as an actual term. Google has become a part of our everyday life and is the definition of our own virtual dictionary.  Google has gained so much power in our world that it has taken control of the informative websites that survive and those that will not make it to popularity. Google serves as a monopoly for the web. It picks which sites will make it and which will not be popular at all. Google organizes sites by importance and popularity. It overwhelmes us with the amount of choices we have. As a daily Google user I admit to simply picking the first few choices Google suggests I look at.

Google has become a monopoly in terms of the World Wide Web. The article talks about how Google takes information from us in order to advertise. Google has its own lock in system that stores our information without asking us for permission. Google's interest is to advertise to us information based on the information they gain from our searches. It is a mechanism to suck us in deeper in the World Wide Web. If we thought Facebook was bad? What difference is Google doing? The article made me aware of how powerful Google has become in our world.


Presentation:

GOOGLE

I really liked this presentation. I really liked the video that we saw about the Google work enviroment. I thought it was great. It almost made me want to work for Google. I couldn't believe that workers actually live their and treat their job as a home. The job seemed so easy and a lot of fun when in reality we know it is a lot of work and is a 24 hour job. They make the work enviroment so comfortable.

 I liked the contrast between the positive aspects of Google and the negative. I think this group picked the correct videos to show us.

The presentation and the article made me see Google in a whole different light. I couldn't help but wonder what else Google would take control of without our permission. What else would we not have control of? It's a scary thought considering how great of a resource I see Google to be? Is Google really thinking for us? We are further locked in...

No comments:

Post a Comment